A SPACIOUS 3 BEDROOMED MEWS HOUSE IN AN IMPRESSIVE VICTORIAN STABLE COURTYARD ON THE EXCLUSIVE ROUSDON ESTATE
The Rousdon Estate is a remarkably intact late 19th Century Estate, including the Grade II* Listed Mansion, Estate Buildings, Chapel, Lodges, walled garden (with some buildings and structures Listed Grade II), gardens, drive and private beach. The nearby 'Undercliff' is a National Nature Reserve and a Site of Special Scientific Interest, whilst the whole Estate lies within the East Devon Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty.
In 1870 Sir Henry Peek, MP for Wimbledon, who had been engaged in tea trade since the end of the 18th Century, purchased the village of Rousdon. He commissioned Sir Ernest George to design a Mansion and other buildings to take advantage of the superb position 500 feet (some 150m above sea level). Being some distance from the nearest town, the house had to be self-sufficient with laundry, coach houses, harness rooms, wine cellars, bowling alley, rifle range, china stores, bake houses, larders, museum, observatory, walled garden, tennis courts, farm buildings and numerous cottages to house the Estate population, which at the end of the 19th Century extended to around 600.
The architectural style of the Mansion, built in 1874, and other buildings have been variously described as Franco-Flemish and Tudoresque in style, and were built mainly of flint rubble with freestone dressings, plain tiled roofs, ornamental timber work, with some tile hung work and red brick.
The Estate was sold by the Peek family in 1930 to Allhallows School and was acquired by Rousdon Estate Limited in 1999 when the school closed. The Mansion and Estate buildings have now been converted into residential properties.
The Rousdon Estate is situated on the East Devon Jurassic coastline about 3 miles from the Dorset border at Lyme Regis. It is one of the most beautiful and unspoilt locations on the South coast. It comprises parkland with a variety of mature trees, farmland and extensive areas of woodland (extending in all to about 350 acres) including a Nature Reserve which is leased to English Nature. Each property has the benefit of walks within the Estate and access to a private beach (Charton Beach), also the famous 'Undercliff' coastal footpath between Lyme Regis and the Axe Estuary and Axmouth.
Both Colyton Grammar School and The Woodroffe School are nearby and there is a bus stop at the entrance to the Estate.
The Stable Courtyard is Listed Grade II* and great care has been taken in preserving the original features, and now there are ten houses.
Each Property in the courtyard is individual in terms of size, internal layout and aspect. No. 8 is a generously proportioned home appointed to a high standard and enjoying a picturesque outlook across the parkland. The property is currently holiday let but is equally well suited as a permanent home or holiday retreat.
The building is solidly constructed of natural stone and brick walls part rendered and with decorative panels and part tile hung with a clay tiled roof.
The Accommodation Comprises
Arched front door to
(Which leads into the Kitchen)
Tiled floor, oak staircase to first floor, understairs cupboard, radiator, door to Living Room.
17'3 (inc. Lobby) (11'5 min.) x 10'8 (5.26m (3.48m min.) x 3.25m)
With a good range of base and wall cupboards with laminate worktops, 1.5 bowl stainless steel sink with integral electric hob and oven, cooker hood, 'Bosch' dishwasher, 'Hotpoint' washer dryer, tiled floor, downlighters (fitted throughout).
19'6 x 17' (5.94m x 5.18m)
Dual aspect windows, radiators, fireplace with oak mantle (not tested), oak floor, dado wall panelling.
With radiator, oak staircase to Attic. 2 Leaded light windows.
13' x 11'4 (3.96m x 3.45m)
With full width square bay window, radiator.
Ensuite Shower Room
Tiled shower cubicle into high level stained glass window, hand basin with cupboard under, WC, tiled walls and floor, extractor, radiator
15'6 x 9'3 (4.72m x 2.82m)
With Victorian cast iron fireplace, radiator, fitted wardrobes and drawers.
10'4 x 6'8 (3.15m x 2.03m)
Panelled bath with shower unit and screen, hand basin with cupboard under, tiled walls and floor, extractor, radiator, stained glass panel.
10' x 6' (3.05m x 1.83m) approx.
With exposed roof timbers, timber balustrade, eaves store cupboard, radiator, door to
Part boarded, 'Alpha' gas fired (lpg) boiler.
Communal central courtyard with marble fountain with flagstone and cobbled surrounds.
There is no garden with this property but the Purchaser will have use of the parkland, woodland and private beach.
The property is subject to estate charges for upkeep of roads, paths, woodland, fences etc. and drainage services including sewage treatment. For 8 Stable Courtyard the current charge is paid in 2 half yearly installments. We understand that in 2019 the annual charge for estate management and drainage was £689.46 which was in two payments of £364.50 in April and £324.96 in October. The first payment for 2020 was £376.23.